The office of Glenwood Dental Care offers custom dental mouth guards to protect your teeth from injury due to impact or grinding. Our mouth guards are made of high-quality material that is lightweight and provides a high level of protection. They are suited to both children and adults. They are custom made after taking an impression of your teeth so that they fit perfectly and do not restrict your breathing.
Who needs a mouth guard?
People who play contact sports
People who play contact sports are prone to injury from impact. Such an injury can cause damage and fracture to one’s teeth. A custom dental mouth guard helps to ensure that your teeth and mouth stay protected, thereby avoiding any damage and the need for extensive restorations and repair later.
People who clench or grind.
Bruxism is the medical term for grinding and clenching of one’s teeth, especially at night. Someone suffering from this condition may experience the following symptoms:
- Rhythmic contractions of jaw muscles
- Long-lasting pain in the face
- A grinding sound at night
- Tightness or pain in the jaw muscles
- Occasional swelling on the side of the lower jaw
Fortunately, a dental mouth guard can usually prevent the damage caused by bruxism. Even if you are not aware that you are suffering from this condition, we may be able to observe it during the course of your regular dental exam since it causes enamel loss and excessive wear on the back molars. You can wear your mouth guard while sleeping to prevent your teeth from rubbing against each other.
Caring for your mouth guard
- Rinse your mouth guard before and after using it
- Regularly check your mouth guard for wear and replace it when necessary.
- Store your mouth guard in a sturdy container with vents and do not leave it in hot temperatures
For more information about our custom mouth guards or to make an appointment, please call us at 630-545-1116.